Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Bates Nut Farm

Daisy with Fairytale Pumpkins






Over this past weekend, I was lucky enough to have the great experience of visiting Bates Nut Farm with my family. Bates Nut Farm is Goliath sized farm tucked deep into the hills of North County San Diego, in Valley Center. This was my first time visiting the farm, after my dad had the idea to take my almost three year old nephew there. The rest of my family couldn't resist going and after incessant jokes about the Kelley family visiting the "nut farm" we were all congregated together bright and early on a Saturday morning. As one can clearly see, I'm a tad obsessed with pumpkins and extremely fascinated by farms so I was very eager to share this on my blog... any and every farm visit should be on a food blog of course! Since I have so many pictures, I'll just rely on a visual harvest (below). Enjoy!


 

Amazingly Delicious Funnel Cake (my first ever)







Between my whole family, it was gone in 60 seconds!




 




Turban Squash





Tiger
We Be Little

Butternut Squash
Long neck Squash
Jarrahdale




Standard Orange

Baby Boo






Miniature






The inside of the country mart-esque nut shop
Gorgeous Grey Breton Horses



Awesome, colorful vintage signage

3 comments:

  1. This looks great, I'll have to visit this farm. There is a great lavender farm in Valley Center as well. How were the prices on the nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I LOVE your blog, by the way! It's fabulous. I'll have to check out the lavender farm for sure. The prices were ok, I heard some people griping about them in line but I thought it was decent. I bought a pound of almonds for $5 and some change. Maybe I'm too L.A. these days but I thought the free parking and admission was a steal in itself, considering all the harvest stuff they had, pumpkin patch all the other stuff going on besides just the nuts. They had some fabulous looking jams too. I think they have a price list online. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $5 for almonds?!? That's a deal if you ask me. With free parking and admission? Amazing. Maybe I'm too LA too, ;) Thanks for the blog love--love yours too!

    ReplyDelete