Wednesday, November 2, 2011

100% Guilt Free Fettuccini with Basil Tomato Sauce and Mushrooms






You wouldn’t know it from reading my blog thus far, but I do like to eat healthy. I shamefully admit, name a fad diet, I’ve done it. I’ve been vegetarian, low-carb, I’ve fasted, cleansed and actually had a wonderful six month fling with veganism. As I get older, I realize everything is about balance. I accept who I am, and want to be the healthiest me while still enjoying all life has to offer. So, I thought it’s about time to share my healthy side on my blog; I want all my readers to be healthy too! For today and tomorrow I have two great healthy recipes in mind. This one, for fettuccini is a great way to enjoy a comfort food that I often crave with zero guilt, it is also very filling. I see a lot of recipes that claim to be “guilt free” then after one look at the nutrition label you realize, it’s just a smidgen less guilty then the real thing. This recipe is pretty shocking, low calorie, lots of protein and fiber! The fat you do see in this recipe is from olive oil, which can be substituted for fat free spray but I prefer the health benefits of olive oil and the taste. The bulk of the carbs and sugar are natural from the tomatoes. I used Shirataki Tofu noodles which I have been eating for years, they can be found in the refrigerated health food or tofu aisle at your grocery store and definitely at any health food store. I warn, they are not the most fabulous consistency, they are chewy compared to an aldente noodle but the savings on the health front are well worth it. I always boil the noodles for 3 minutes to rid of the tofu flavor.

*Low Calorie, Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Fat, High Fiber, High Protein* 

Total Nutritional Info:                                                                Compared to:
Calories: 115                                                                            Calories: 560
Fat: 4 g                                                                                     Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 19 g                                                                 Carbohydrates: 111g
Protein: 9 g                                                                               Protein: 19 g
Fiber: 12.5 g                                                                           Fiber: 9 g
Sugar: 15 g                                                                               Sugar: 20 g


Noodles, per serving 4 oz ½ one bag:
Calories: 20
Fat: 0.5
Carbohydrates: 3
Protein: 1 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 0

Recipe (two servings, I made double to keep for quick healthy lunches)
1 bag of Shirataki Noodles (style of your preference)
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
4 cloves of garlic
4 ripe tomatoes of your preference, I used Roma
4 sprigs of basil
1 small can of Del Monte tomato paste

Fill a large pot with water, put over heat to bring to a boil. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat 1/2 Tbs of olive oil; add garlic and sauté until aromatic. Lightly salt the tomatoes, slice of the top, add to saucepan. Heat tomatoes for about two minutes to tenderize the tomatoes, add basil, when tomatoes are tender, smash the tomatoes. I’d love to tell you that I used a fancy gadget but I honestly used the bottom of a pint glass to break the tomatoes, it worked wonders, then I used a wooden spoon. Give to tomatoes a good smash. Add tomato paste, stir, season to taste and simmer on low for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Heat a modest drizzle of olive oil or water in a small saucepan, sauté mushrooms on low-medium heat until tender, sprinkle with salt to taste. Drain the Shirataki noodles from the bag and add them to the boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain noodles from pot. Serve on a plate, add sauce over noodles, spoon mushrooms over the top of the sauce, garnish with a basil leaf. Bon appétit!




No comments:

Post a Comment