Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Confections - Day 8 - Nancy's Magic Cookie Squares

Day 8 - Nancy's Magic Cookie Squares



Wow! This holiday season has sure got the best of me. I have been beyond busy (like us all at this time of year) and have sadly been unable to post. I worried about missing my days of Christmas confections so much, but it was literally, humanly impossible for me to find time to post. So, I decided, that this might be a good thing in disguise. I'm keeping it real, and in reality, the holidays are truly that jam packed for us all. So tonight, with the Christmas tree lit, and the three year old nephew sent home off to his bed, I have decided to have a serious date with my blog, and you; to catch up on some wonderful holiday sweets!
On to the important topic: Nancy's Magic Cookie Squares. This recipe was introduced to me during Christmas of 1995. That year, one of my sister's high school friends became inseparable with our family. I remember her watching me (a younin' grade schooler) while my family was out, spending dinners, nights and quality time with all of the Kelley's. A blessing for us all, Nancy, over time became a sister to me, and an everlasting addition to our family.  Now, 17 years later, we have not had a Christmas without Nancy's Magic Cookie Squares, but most importantly, without Nancy, an integral member of the Kelley clan. Nancy's grandmother made these Magic Cookie Squares every Christmas for as long as she can remember, I am lucky enough that it found its way to my family. These squares have a little hints of various flavors. Sweet, chocolaty, with butterscotch, a sprinkle of island flavor with coconut, chewy and some crunch from the graham cracker crust, these little cookie squares are definitely magic. Enjoy!




Nancy's Magic Cookie Squares
Recipe from Nancy Palo

1/4 cup of butter
Graham cracker pie crust
1/2 a bag of chocolate chips
1/4 of a bag of sweetened coconut
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 a bag of butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9 x 13 inch pan, place butter in pan, heat on stovetop on medium heat until butter is melted. Take the graham cracker pie crust and crumble it, place on top of butter, making a crust in the pan. Layer chocolate chips, then coconut, then the sweetened condensed milk, then the butterscotch chips. Place in oven for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment