Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Confections - Day 10 - Mom's Fudge

Day 10 - Mom's Fudge 






This fudge is called Mom's fudge, but it is not referring to my mom but it is my mother's recipe from my grandmother Maxwell. This recipe has been used my entire life, lovingly made by my mother for Christmas parties, a tradition passed from generations. It has always been my favorite of the holiday treats that my mom makes year to year. I remember as the little chubby girl I was, sneaking off during holiday parties and taking a square of fudge here, and one there and another and another. Usually by the time all of the guests had departed, the candy dish was empty and 10 year old me was suffering from quite the tummy ache. This fudge is irresistible and due to it's extensive history with the Maxwell/Kelley family, I can not imagine Christmas with out it. 


Mom's Fudge
By grandma Maxwell and Mama Kelley 
3  6 ounce package of chocolate chips
1  8 ounce jar of marshmallow cream 
1/2  lb. of butter 
1/2  cup of sugar
1 large can of evaporate milk
2 cups of chopped nuts


Mix the chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, and butter in a large bowl. Mix sugar and milk in a large pan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly and never scrape the sides of the pan, as this will crystalize the sugar faster. Boil, while stirring for 10 minutes and not a minute a minute less. Pour milk mixture over chocolate chips and mix well, add 2 cups of nuts. Put on to wax paper lined pan or cookie sheet. Cool and slice into serving sized cubes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment