Saturday, December 24, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Confections - Day 11 - A Plate for Santa





Merry Christmas Eve! I had a date early this morning to bake sugar cookies with Korbin, my adorable 3 year nephew. The plan: concocting an excellent plate for Santa. I have recently started asking people their personal traditions of Christmas Eve and what is left for Santa and I must say, it is fascinating.  It seems that there are countless renditions out there. In our family, we would leave some sort of treat from our Christmas Eve celebration and little glass brandy, that is what Santa likes to drink most, we were told. I love the idea that my tradition is definitely unique, but the more I ask around, the more I realize, there are some great twists on this time honored practice. Today with Korbin, we made Amish Sugar Cookies, recipe compliments of my mom. I love this recipe because the cookies are not too dry, sweet and have a strong vanilla flavor. We had quite a blast decorating them ever so carefully, for they are going to a very special jolly man! 









Not the best picture, but Korbin is just too cute! 



Amish Sugar Cookies


1 cup of sugar
1 cup powdered sugar 
1 cup of butter 
1 cup of oil 
2 eggs 
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar 
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 tsp. vanilla 
4 1/2 cups of flour 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine first five ingredients. Add the rest of the dry ingredients. Chill for at least 30 minutes. The original recipe is to roll into balls and dip them in granulated sugar, then flatten with the bottom of a glass. Korbin and I, rolled ours out and used cookie cutters in various Christmas shapes. Either way, bake on a cookie sheet for 12 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment