Thursday, September 13, 2012

Tri Colored Orzo Salad




Several years ago, my family came to L.A. to visit the then, newly opened, Getty Villa. At the Getty Villa visitors are welcome to bring picnics, the grounds are so amazing that I really don't think there is any better option than parking yourself in the picnicking area and dining alfresco. I made this Tri Colored salad for the first time for that very picnic, my oh my was it a hit. That was about 5 or so years ago. Fast forward to the current day and my family still raves about this salad. Just the other night, after my family reminded me how much they love this salad,  I decided to make it to accompany a lemon roasted chicken for a causal summer dinner with friends. I've always had this recipe tucked in the back of my mind, but the recent pleasure of eating it, I found myself wondering why don't I make this so much more often? It's really delicious. It travels very well and in my personal opinion, it tastes better at room temperature. It's beautiful to look at, light, healthy, bursting with flavors and oh so simple. 










 Tri Color Orzo Salad - Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

  • 1 pound orzo pasta
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
  • 2 cups fresh arugula (about 3 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 12 fresh basil leaves, torn
  • 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta, cool. Drizzle the pasta with 3 tablespoons olive oil, toss, keep cooling.
Once the orzo is cool, transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment